After seeing our Rustic Christmas Tree this year, you may be shocked to know that among all of the burlap, chippy wood, and rusty mason jar lids… I have bright pink and purple Christmas ornaments! Yup… break out your sunglasses!! But the truth is.. I have a collection of Christmas ornaments like none other. I have, what I like to call, obsessive-compulsive-christmas-clearance-shopper disorder! And I also love to swap out themes for my Christmas tree!!
So why am I talking about Christmas on January 13th? Well, it’s time to get those ornaments organized and packed away for next year!! See… I told you I had bright eye-popping ornaments…
This is where my Silhouette comes in handy!! Now, I know everyone doesn’t have a Silhouette. And that’s okay!! You can make labels any ‘ol way! The key is get organized NOW before you pack all those Christmas ornaments away… you will be soooo glad come next year! (P.S. And I know I’m not the only one who still has Christmas stuff lying around… c’mon, you do too, right? At least tell me you do, so I don’t feel like such a slacker!!)
So, let’s get started… this may take all day! I noticed this year when we were unpacking Christmas ornaments, I had two MAJOR pet peeves!
1. I couldn’t remember who some of my ornaments were from.
2. I hated unwrapping each and every white tissue paper covered ornament to see one that I knew I wasn’t going to use on the tree. I wish I knew what they were without having to unwrap each one.
Let’s tackle #1 first…
About half of our ornaments were given to us and have some sort of sentimental meaning. For those, we spread them all out in the living room floor. I made a paper tag for each ornament that said as much as we could remember about the ornament. Who bought it for us? What year? For what reason? And the ornaments that the hubs and I bought… we marked those too! Like the ornament we bought on our honeymoon in Paris… or when we went to Jamaica for our anniversary!! I labeled… and Bill popped them in a small ornament box. Boom! #1 solved!!
All of those small ornaments went in a larger tote that I labeled boxed ornaments. That way we know exactly what is in this box!! I made these simple labels the same way I made the labels for my Christmas Supplies Mini-tote. Stick ’em on… peel ’em off. It couldn’t be easier! I’ve always been a labeler… but I was stoked to trade in my old paper labels for something a little more snazzy!
And with that box #1 was complete!!
But what about alllll those bright pink and purple ornaments… the one’s that I’m really not going to use until I decide that I want to have a jewel toned tree again…
Or all of my rustic ornaments that I used this year…
Or lest we snag a sneak peak of the barn red ornaments I picked up this year (half-off) for next year’s tree…
I wanted them to all be grouped together by color so I could easily grab the colors that I wanted for whatever theme I was going with on a given year. So I snagged some small clear shoe boxes and made labels for those as well!!
For the sake of these photos, I did not wrap the ornaments because I wanted you to see how they all looked. But now that I have snapped this shot, I am off to wrap the ornaments in white tissue paper, then put them away. Now that they are divided by color, I don’t have to open ev-er-y-single ornament to see what it is. I can just snag the box I want and know exactly what I’m getting!! All of those mini boxes went right in a larger box labeled.. you guessed it.. colored ornaments!
I also have a large tote for my Disney ornaments… I collected those when I sold the Mickey ears at Disney World! And my collection of Hallmark ornaments. I collected those when I was in college… I would get up uber early the day after Christmas and fight the crazies at Hallmark to rack up. I gave that up a few years ago! I’m an obsessive-compulsive-christmas-clearance-shopper in recovery!!
Once you get your ornaments in order, grab all those Christmas tags, tape, ribbon… and get those organized too!!
And don’t forget Silhouette is having a 30% Off Sale on most of their supplies… so be sure to stock up now on all of the vinyl you will need to label to your hearts content!!
Coupon Code VINTAGENEWS
But for all of you motivated-on-the-ball-kinda folk… and your Christmas decorations have been put away for weeks… perhaps you are looking for some other organizational inspiration!! Check it out… 36 ways to get organized using your Silhouette!!
And if that’s not the mother load of organizational inspriration… I don’t know what is!! Have fun!!
- DIY Window Shutter Mail Organizer by Weekend Craft
- Kids’ Art Wall by Tried & True
- Organizing Silhouette and Craft Supplies by The Happier Homemaker
- Simple Recipe Organization by It’s Always Craft Time
- Put a Label on it! Herb Names for Plant Stakes by Get Silvered
- Super Simple Linen Closet Labels by Two Purple Couches
- Beware of the Animals Vinyl Toy Box by A Tossed Salad Life
- Child desk accessories by Architecture of a Mom
- Organizing & the Important of Labels by The Turquoise Home
- Index Card Organizer for Easier Meal Planning by Chicken Scratch NY
- Create Craft Room Labels by Dragonfly & Lilypads
- Simple Storage Solution for your Christmas Ornaments by Vintage News Junkie
- Organize this: DIY Planner Covers, Tags & Dividers (made with Cereal Boxes) by Black and White Obsession
- How to Make a Cut File into a Print & Cut by Create & Babble
- Simple Chest Freezer Organizational Board by Nearly Handmade
- Vinyl Your Kitchen Canisters! by From Wine to Whine
- Nursery Closet Dividers & Silhouette Cut File by Creative Ramblings
- Make Custom Box Templates with a Silhouette for Drawer Organization by One Dog Woof
- Organizing the Craft Room by What’s Next Ma
- Vinyl Wall Calendar by Crafts Cakes and Cats
- Personalized Toy Storage Bins by Lil’ Mrs. Tori
- Personalized Routine Chart by Work in Progress
- Blog Planner Sheet Dividers + Free Cut Files by TitiCrafty by Camila
- Simple Project Calendar by Little Blue’s Room
- Dry Erase Photo Frame Menu Board + Free Cut File by Essentially Eclectic
- Receipt Organization with Free Cut File by The Thinking Closet
- Cute and Easy Labels by Life After Laundry
- “What’s For Dinner?” Menu Planning Board by unOriginal Mom
- Mixing Organization and Function: An Easy Conversion Chart by My Paper Craze
- Why do my cookies taste so bad? A lesson in baking. by The Life and Times of a TAP
- Custom Drawer Dividers by Please Excuse My Craftermath…
- The evolution of my labeling system by feto soap
- Ikea Drawer labels by McCall Manor
- Glass Etched Vinegar & Oil bottles by Terri Johnson Creates
- Organize It: Bathroom Closet by The House on Hillbrook
- Ombre Butterfly Magnet Board by Sowdering About
Until next time,
Vintage News Junkie
Full Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post, however, I will recieve commission on any Silhouette sales using my coupon code. But you know the deal, all opinions are my own and I ♥ my Silhouette! Click here for the full Disclosure and Policies.